Friday, November 10, 2006

Enid Blyton - Ecstasy

Yes.. I am actually gonna begin this blog with an Enid Blyton post. You can laugh at me, sneer even. And yes, my gray cells could very well be under-developed. All I know is, read a Blyton once.. and you will never be the same!

I have always loved Blyton.. she is the epitome of what fiction meant to me as a child! How well I still remember the early Brer Rabbit books.. the easy language, the excitement with which I used to flip over the pages to see what new trick the wily rabbit has played on poor Brer Fox! A world of talking animals with IQ s over 90 is not a new idea, granted.. it has been around since the times of Panchatantra. What distinguished the British novelist was her unique narrative style.. one felt that he was part and parcel of a play that was enacted before his very eyes! She, at least to me, is one of the few authors that brings every single character, be it a 12-year old boy or a golliwog, to life!

My literary quest with Enid Blyton took on a new turn when I was introduced to the Famous Five series, the adventures of five(duh!) cousins and their dog. There I learnt the meaning of honor and fair play, why telling the truth, though never easy, always worked out for the better than a easy fib. I went along cross-country bicycle rides with the Five, feasted on cucumber and tomate sandwiches, ate sausages and ice-creams washed down with ginger beer. More importantly, I learnt what it means to share, to take courage even when the tide is against you, and what friendship truly meant. Blyton, was in short, my very first moral philosopher, my best friend and guide.

Swept along into teenage, I feasted upon the Mystery and Adventure series. Fatty of the Find-Outers still amazes me.. his brilliant feats of deductions rivals the legendary Holmes; Philip of the Adventure set had a magic with animals.. a thirteen year old having the courage to take on an angry bear(The Circus of Adventure) , and Jack with his passion for birds! Blyton made me love and admire Nature, gave me a fresh outlook to life! Even today, when stressed out from college, when I take up a Blyton I feel myself enter a magical world of talking rabbits, amateur detectives and delicious macaroons, and gives me HOPE!!! THANK YOU BLYTON.

6 comments:

Noob said...

absolutely well said.Enid blyton was one of those fabulous persons whose books i will always treasure.Be it the famous five or the secret seven or even Fatty,they all had a unique blend of simplicity to them.These characters felt so real to you and you emphatized with them for everything.Nice job hari for starting out this.

NIGHTMARE said...

This is Hari at his best....if specophobia was awesome this one is simply mind-blowing and out of the ordinary... A bolt from the blue, u may say.....And hey, It was sooooooooo very thoughtful of u to start this blog with Blyton.....I can still remember the times wen i was very much fascinated by 'Rat-a-tat mystery' and the likes....It brings out the child thats hidden on the inside...U rock ma friend...I've got to start inventin words outta the dictionary to compliment u....Keep up the good work dudo!!!!!!

Srihari Murali said...

@amar

thanks dude.. i used to dream about being in the countryside with Dick and George:) i just took up The Circus of Adventure and went kinda nostalgic i guess. result, the blog. keep those comments coming!

Srihari Murali said...

@vijai

thnx for the praise.. my cheeks are so red my mom is taking me to the dentist tomo:) glad u liked it buddy

NIGHTMARE said...

Well then, the next time i'll see to it ma comments are lighter....I'm yet to go through the proakis stuff...But i'm not that very keen on goin thru that...U very well know i'm allergic to academic stuff... Ne'ertheless i'll try..:)

sowmya said...

oof!!words fail me..it's a tremendous attempt..it reminded my childhood days to me..i've grown up reading blyton's books.. initially when vj told me about this blog,i didn't pay much attention to it.i read it because he insisted me to..but now,thanks to him...it's become like a daily newspaper to me..i simply can't do without readin it atleast once in a day.what really impressed me is the way it is written..even with the little information that u've tried to convey,u have managed to add every element to it hence creating enthusiasm among readers..well done hari!! keep it up and dazzle us with more wonderful blogs..ALL THE BEST!!